Latoya Watkins follows up her 2022 debut novel Perish with Holler, Child, a poignant collection about the loves, losses, and struggles of a Black community in West Texas. Consisting of 11 short stories, the book confronts both the joy and the heartbreak of living—motherhood, betrayals, love affairs, racism, and death are all recurrent themes. Watkins tells the stories of a single mother who reckons with the idea that her son may be capable of the same sexual violence that brought him into the world, a pair of sisters who search for their estranged brother, and a wife who seeks to spite her husband by lavishing their children with love. Throughout it all, Watkins plumbs the depths of our emotions with compassion and nuance, offering a complex understanding of the human condition. —Cady Lang
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing?
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time