In one of the most harrowing and brave books published this year, Patricia Evangelista, a top reporter in the Philippines at the independent news site Rappler, recounts her years covering the extraordinary number of extrajudicial killings that took place under the rule of former president Rodrigo Duterte between 2016 and 2022. She’s unflinching in bearing witness to the thousands of dead killed under Duterte’s reign of terror, which he claimed was largely focused on drug dealers and users, but which wreaked havoc on almost every part of Filipino society. Evangelista also recounts her own journey, detailing the trauma of this relentless death toll and how it shaped her as a journalist and a person. —Lucas Wittmann
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing?
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time