James Cameron is one of the most celebrated and commercially successful filmmakers of all time. Most recently, his Avatar films featuring prominent themes about the dangers of irresponsible resource extraction and environmental damage have smashed international viewership and revenue records. “He wants to focus on how to save a planet, not destroy one,” described a TIME interview with Cameron about the series. But his environmentalism goes beyond the screen: Avatar 2 was powered entirely by solar electricity and served exclusively plant-based food on set. This has set a new standard for what is possible in sustainable film and television production in Hollywood, and in the broader industry.
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing?
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time